If you’ve ever struggled with portion control or being ravenous once you sit down at the table, check out these TEN WAYS TO EAT LESS AT MEALTIMES.
10. Use a smaller plate. You’ll get the visual cue that you’re eating more food which helps you feel satisfied.
9. Serve food from the kitchen rather than the table family style. Be aware of portion sizes as you serve.
8. After food has been plated in the kitchen, immediately pack up leftovers and put them in the refrigerator. Remove the temptation to go back for seconds (or thirds)!
7. If eating out and ordering an entree, order a to-go box at the same time. Pack part of the meal immediately upon being served.
6. Rather than ordering an entree, inquire about the size of appetizer portions.
5. Eat fruits and vegetables first. Unless you have blood sugar issues, allow yourself unrestricted portions of fruits and vegetables.
4. Drink a glass of water as soon as you sit down at the table. Most of us are under-hydrated as it is. By drinking water first, you nourish your body with water AND start to fill your stomach without ingesting a single calorie!
3. Chew your food thoroughly. Eat your meal slowly. Savor the tastes. Allow your brain to get the message that you’re eating and satisfying your hunger.
2. Engage in mealtime conversation. Again, this gives you time for the brain to give the ‘all full’ signal.
1. Eat only when hungry, not just because everyone else is eating at that time. If you’re not hungry, lead the conversation.